We see a lot of potential from our membership. Additive Manufacturing requires expertise from many different disciplines so collaboration is key to AM living up to its expectations. 3MF is another consortium SOLIDWORKS is heavily invested in for moving AM forward and commonality across vendors of both hardware and software. We look forward to working with many of our customers who are also members of America Makes, to jointly collaborate and innovate in the additive manufacturing space.
Member Since: 2017
Dassault Systèmes SOLIDWORKS Corporation offers complete 3D software tools that let you create, simulate, publish, and manage your data. SOLIDWORKS products are easy to learn and use, and work together to help you design products better, faster, and more cost-effectively. The SOLIDWORKS focus on ease-of-use allows more engineers, designers and other technology professionals than ever before to take advantage of 3D in bringing their designs to life.
Initiatives in Additive Manufacturing
- SOLIDWORKS 2017 and 2018 support the import and export of 3MF files
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 is able to handle mesh geometry, the default file types for additive, in almost the same way it handles B-REP geometry. This is a huge advantage when it comes to dealing with the complexity additive is able to deliver.
- Able to provide AM costing estimates to product designers
- SOLIDWORKS 2018 also introduces Topology Study fully integrated into the design environment. Powered by SIMULIA’s Tosca technology means generative design and topology optimization workflows are possible without needing to leave SOLIDWORKS with the level of ease of use you are expecting from SOLIDWORKS. Less material means less cost for Additive Manufacturing so is an ideal place to start when Designing for Additive Manufacturing.
- SOLIDWORKS also has Print3D – a built in feature which allows printing directly from SOLIDWORKS without the need for intermediate file formats or third party build preparation software. It also validates the design for 3D printing by assessing walls and features below the resolution of the printer you are sending it to, highlighting faces requiring support structures whilst also giving a “print preview” with striation lines rendered as a bump map using RealView technology.
- Democratizing 3D design for every engineer’s desktop and making 3D mainstream, we are seeking ways to support making AM mainstream as well.