America Makes funded the creation of the software that is the foundation of our company. Through our membership, we have gained insight and connections that have improved our knowledge of the world of additive manufacturing, and therefore have improved our impact on the additive movement.
Atlas 3D believes that designing for additive manufacturing should be more science and less “black art”. We endeavor to provide the tool set that computationally and automatically transforms the engineering expertise of design engineers into printable parts. Our tool set is the result of a collaborative response to an America Makes project where we were charged with automating orientation, automating the addition of support structures, and minimizing thermal distortion. After successfully completing that project in May 2017, we began the process of commercializing the software and have now done so in the form of a cloud service hosted on Amazon Web Services, providing highly scalable computing resources and proven security for our customers.
Initiatives in Additive Manufacturing
- First to computationally optimize orientation for minimal thermal distortion
- First 100% cloud based design for additive tool
- Automatic generation of support structures
- Complete CAD to print tool for DMLS printers
- Expand the number of qualified materials
- Incorporate additional optimization constraints
- Expand the number of qualified printers