About America Makes and NCDMM
America Makes is the Nation’s leading public-private partnership for Additive Manufacturing technology and education. Our members from industry, academia, government, workforce, and economic development organizations, work together to accelerate the adoption of AM and the nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness, focusing on three core missions – Technology Development, Education and Workforce Development, and Ecosystem. America Makes is driven and managed by NCDMM, the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining. Established in 2003, NCDMM delivers innovative and collaborative manufacturing solutions that enhance our nation’s workforce and economic competitiveness.
About the role and team
As the Communication Coordinator, you will be a valued and trusted member of the NCDMM and America Makes communications team, reporting to the Communications Manager. You will help with the development of content and tactics that shape the public perception of the Institute, specifically being responsible for NCDMM & the Institute’s social media channels, working to communicate project successes, coordinating and/or drafting press releases, and working closely with the team to analyze data to optimize communications activities.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative and creative team player with a passion for communication and engagement. You bring some experience in communication outreach and technical writing. The candidate is also detail and task oriented as this role requires the team member to both think creatively and execute tasks operationally.
The team culture is innovative, creative, and fast paced. Members of the team need to be adaptive and thrive in an ambiguous environment. This role is part of a collaborative team, but a candidate with a “self-starter” personality who has a high motor will thrive in this role.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Coordinate and/or draft press releases and publications for NCDMM and America Makes.
- Engage in technical writing (including content generation), review and editing project summaries and success stories.
- Support the social media channel management for NCDMM and America Makes (skillset and aptitude).
- Generate and execute email campaigns, including newsletters, surveys, announcements, and events.
- Develop and support directed projects communication content and material.
- Working with project engineers, manage and improve the success stories and project summary process for both NCDMM and America Makes.
- General communication content development as it relates to ongoing activity.
- Work closely with the Communications Manager and Event Coordinator to develop communications strategies that help advance the mission of America Makes.
- Work to maintain timely content, updates, event calendar, and overall style of the America Makes and NCDMM websites (WordPress platform).
On a typical day, you might:
- Work with the Communications Manager and America Makes leadership to highlight key America Makes pillars (Technology, Education and Workforce Development, Ecosystem).
- Facilitate sessions with America Makes and NCDMM project managers to develop project specific communications plans, success stories and strategies to highlight project impacts.
- Assist in drafting and issuing press releases and organizing press events.
- Create and post content on America Makes and NCDMM social media channels and provide consistent reporting on engagement to help inform communications strategies.
- Manage the creation and delivery of email campaigns.
- Assist the America Makes team with writing, reviewing, and editing of proposals, reports, and other technical documents.
About our ideal candidate:
- You have a bachelor’s degree (communications focused preferred) and 2-3 years’ experience in a communication centric position.
- You understand how to measure social media engagement.
- You can take technical language and develop content that can be appealing to a broad, non-technical audience.
- You have experience managing and developing engaging content for multiple social media platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and others.
- You have managed email campaigns on MailChimp or similar platforms.
- Ideally, you bring experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator).
- You understand and are comfortable working with HTML code and in the WordPress environment.
Additional things about you:
- You are self-directed and have demonstrated the ability to prioritize deliverables and drive results.
- You are mission driven and have a passion for working on a team that drives U.S. manufacturing competitiveness and economic security.
- You are organized, proactive and like to express yourself creatively.
- Operating in a Microsoft Office environment is second nature to you.
- You are open to a hybrid working environment, with at least two workdays required in the Youngstown, Ohio, office.
NCDMM, as a government contractor, is required to verify all employees through the E-Verify system to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.