About America Makes and NCDMM
America Makes is the Nation’s leading public-private partnership for Additive Manufacturing technology and education. Our members from industry, academia, government, workforce, and economic development organizations, work together to accelerate the adoption of AM and the nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness, focusing on three core missions – Technology Development, Education and Workforce Development (EWD), and Ecosystem Development. The Institute America Makes is driven and managed by NCDMM, the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining. Established in 2003, NCDMM delivers innovative and collaborative manufacturing solutions that enhance our nation’s workforce and economic competitiveness.
About the role and team
As the Communication Manager, you will be a valued and trusted member of the NCDMM and America Makes communications team, reporting to the Operations Director. You will develop, implement, and execute a broad range of communication functions to shape and inform the public perception of the Institute. This will include, amongst others, responsibility for defining the Institute’s communication strategies, amplifying successes of Institute and membership projects and programs, ensuring effectiveness of social media and other outreach tools to promote Institute events, and leveraging data to optimize communication activities. As owner of these core activities, the Communications Manager will play a critical role in driving value out of and for the technology, EWD, and Ecosystem portfolios.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative and creative team player with a passion for communication and engagement and bring a demonstrated experience in communication outreach and technical writing. The candidate is detail and task oriented as this role requires the team member to think and act strategically, manage transactional execution and be hands on.
The team culture is innovative, creative, and fast paced. Members of the team need to be adaptive and thrive in an ambiguous environment. This role is part of a collaborative team, but a candidate with a “self-starter” personality will thrive in this role.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Own and drive activity to develop and implement effective communication strategies for primarily the Institute, as well as NCDMM, to ensure impactful outreach.
- Development, implementation, and execution of America Makes Communication Plans, e.g., for programs, Institute initiatives, etc.
- Define and create annual plan of communication activities to allow for efficient resourcing, alignment with other activities, and execution tracking.
- Establish pro-active communications with stakeholders (Membership, Government Partners, etc.) to expand communication impacts.
- Ensure America Makes evergreen and other content is up to date, accessible to membership and other stakeholders, and maintained on regular basis.
- Ensure consistent messaging of the America Makes Institute through national/global networking, conferences, expansion of media platforms and content, and hosting or co-hosting multiple events a year.
- Support planning and execution of America Makes events through developing engaging content and marketing as well as effective promotion.
- Actively participate in AM Conferences, workshops, and other meetings to disseminate America Makes actives and synthesize and report on member-relevant event outcomes.
- Develop a comprehensive communications tool kit for all levels of America Makes stakeholders.
- Continue and refine the process to generate and disseminate project and member activity success stories for both America Makes and NCDMM.
- Promote America Makes and membership activities, conduct comprehensive outreach, attend conferences and events, and represent AM community via social media, published literature, and traditional communications and media outlets.
- Track, collect, and update the America Makes membership on successful long-range project outcomes and transitions after formal lines of effort at the Institute are complete.
- Interface and partner with leading professional organizations to infuse the America Makes mission into events and activities held outside of the America Makes consortium.
- Lead and manage the NCDMM Communications Coordinator as well as external resources, ensure effective execution and personal growth.
On a typical day, you might:
- Work with America Makes leadership to highlight key activities and successes of the Institute pillars of Technology, EWD, and Ecosystem.
- Ideate with the Events Coordinator on effective event promotion strategies and translate these into actionable tasks that you ensure get executed timely.
- Develop an effective communication plan together with the Operations and Membership Director to engage and activity stakeholders with an upcoming workshop and initiative.
- Facilitate sessions with America Makes and NCDMM project managers to develop project specific communications plans, success stories and strategies to highlight project impacts.
- Working with the Communications Coordinator, review and approve press releases and organizing press events.
- Organize a call with a media partner to develop timeline, scope, and cost of publishing an Institute journal.
- Review and approve content on America Makes social media channels and provide consistent reporting on engagement to help inform communications strategies.
- Assist the America Makes team with writing, reviewing, and editing of proposals, reports, and other technical documents.
- Ensure alignment with the Manufacturing USA Communication team via joining a regularly recurring, virtual meeting.
- Collaborate with NCDMM Leadership to promote and amplify a ribbon cutting event for a new location.
About our ideal candidate:
- You have a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree is preferred) in Communications and five to seven (5-7) years’ experience in a communication centric position.
- You have experience with managing and developing content social media properties.
- You understand how to measure social media engagement.
- You can take technical language and develop content that can be appealing to a broad, non-technical audience.
- You have demonstrated the ability to develop engaging content on multiple social media platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and others.
- Ideally, you bring experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and/or WordPress.
- Prior experience in government or defense related programs is a plus.
Additional things about you:
- You are self-directed and have demonstrated the ability to prioritize deliverables and drive results
- You are mission driven and have a passion for working on a team that drives U.S. manufacturing competitiveness and economic security every day.
- You are organized, proactive and like to express yourself creatively.
- Operating in a Microsoft Office environment is second nature to you.
NCDMM, as a government contractor, is required to verify all employees through the E-Verify system to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Diane Chesnutwood, Human Resource Manager at email@example.com.
NCDMM delivers innovative and collaborative manufacturing solutions that enhance the U.S. workforce and economic competitiveness by identifying the needs, stakeholders, technologies, and processes to achieve optimal solutions for the defense industrial base. NCDMM collaborates with government, industry, and academia to bring the best solutions and technologies to meet client needs.
NCDMM is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
For information on NCDMM visit our website at www.ncdmm.org