October 29, 2018
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
This half-day class has been scheduled along-side of the America Makes MMX being held on October 30-31 in Youngstown, OH.
Among the various design capabilities enabled by additive manufacturing (AM), one of the most promising, is the ability to implement cellular materials such as honeycombs and lattices into the design of functional parts. While the notion of cellular materials is not a new one, AM has enabled such designs to be applied in ways that were once not possible which is leading to an increased interest in design and manufacturing of these materials.
While software tools and manufacturing capabilities are rapidly improving, our ability to reliably predict behavior of parts made with additively manufactured cellular materials is still limited – and this is a key gap holding back widespread and robust implementation of these materials in critical-to-function parts. Additionally, there is no systematic way to approaching the design of cellular materials.
This half-day training seeks to address this gap by drawing the connection between design, manufacturing, and final part behavior. The class is divided into 4 main sections:
- Design, where four key questions in cellular material design will be addressed,
- Manufacturing, where different considerations specific to cellular materials are discussed,
- Characterization, where the methods of accurately characterizing cellular material behavior including specimen design and experimental setup will be addressed, and
- Modeling, where the different techniques of developing modeling for use in simulation driven design will be covered along with a discussion of their pros and cons.
- Be able to describe the various design decisions involved when working with cellular materials
- Be able to design experiments to accurately characterize cellular materials
- Gain an understanding of manufacturing challenges and constraints when realizing these materials
- Develop valid material modeling techniques for predicting behavior
- Get a sense of the current challenges in implementing cellular materials with Additive Manufacturing
An accompanying online textbook will be made available to America Makes members who attend this class, which will serve as a reference. Please bring a laptop to class.
A TRX Webinar will be held on September 6, 2018 at 2pm EDT to provide a sneak peak of this 4-hour class. Learn More about the webinar.
Register Here for this Class:
Parking at America Makes
Extremely limited parking is available in the lot next to America Makes. Attendees should plan to park at one of the ABM lots on the corner of West Boardman Street and Vindicator Square. Parking is $3/per day (exact cash only) in these lots. Park elsewhere at your own risk. Parking tickets will not be paid or reimbursed by America Makes.