Education & Workforce Development (EWD) Project Engineer
About America Makes and NCDMM
America Makes is the Nation’s leading public-private partnership for Additive Manufacturing technology and education. Our members from industry, academia, government, workforce, and economic development organizations, work together to accelerate the adoption of AM and the nation’s global manufacturing competitiveness, focusing on three core missions – Technology Development, Education and Workforce Development, and Ecosystem. The Institute America Makes is driven and managed by NCDMM, the National Center for Defense Manufacturing and Machining. Established in 2003, NCDMM delivers innovative and collaborative manufacturing solutions that enhance our nation’s workforce and economic competitiveness.
About the role and team
As an EWD Project Engineer, you will be a valued and trusted member of the NCDMM and America Makes EWD team, reporting to the America Makes EWD Director. You will effectively and efficiently plan, lead, and execute multiple projects within the defined project scopes and budgetary constraints. Additionally, you will develop statements of work, cost proposals and timelines for onboarding of new projects. Project Engineers must communicate well with customers, management, academic, community, economic, workforce development as well as engineers, and technicians.
The ideal candidate is a collaborative and results-oriented team player with a passion for managing and executing education programs and workforce development projects. You bring demonstrated competency in project management, ideally having engaged in EWD programming. The candidate is also detail and task oriented as this role requires the team member to both think creatively and execute tasks operationally across a broad audience.
The team culture is innovative, creative, and fast paced. Members of the team need to be adaptive and thrive in an ambiguous environment. This role is part of a collaborative team, but a candidate with a “self-starter” personality who has a high motor will thrive in this role. The EWD portfolio is diverse and requires consistent engagement with a variety of different stakeholders and partners, including America Makes members. Experience in this realm is preferred.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Effectively and efficiently plan, lead, and execute multiple EWD projects within their defined project scopes and constraints, including:
- Proactively manage timelines, budgets, and deliverables for 9-36 month, $0.1m – $1.5m projects and programs via a collaborative technology platform.
- Delegate tasks to external project team members for timely execution of assignments.
- Engage in the tracking and conversion of new project opportunities.
- Work with managers and contract authorities to ensure quality project reporting (interim and final), subject to internal and external audits.
- Engage across the entire EWD team for cross-collaboration and project engagement.
- Travel to customer and/or team member site for meetings, workshops, and presentations (<25% travel is expected).
- Support and assist with the execution of the overall EWD project portfolio, including but not limited to managing partnership agreements, invoice tracking, and other tasks assigned by business manager.
On a typical day, you might:
- Interact and engage on a project update meeting with external team members, addressing schedule challenges on a deliverable.
- Develop and manage project schedule and spend plan for a 24 month, $1.4m project on creating training content for the U.S. Government.
- Write your own and assist others with reviewing and editing of a final project report.
- Develop Statement of Works, cost proposals and project timelines for a 12 month, $0.4m opportunity, including onboarding of project partners.
- Execute a partnership agreement with a school district, allowing for deployment and scaling of additive manufacturing educational content to mid-school students.
About our ideal candidate:
- You have a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in a project management centric position.
- You have experience with managing and/or supporting large scale / multi-year educational and workforce development initiatives.
- You have a demonstrated record engaging with and communicating on a technical and non-technical level, tailored to a diverse audience across government, academia, and industry.
- You have strong written communication and reporting skills, including technical report writing and reviewing.
- You are interested in professional and personal development and see yourself as a life-long learner.
Additional things about you:
- You are self-directed and have demonstrated the ability to prioritize deliverables, manage scheduling conflicts, and drive results
- You are mission driven and have a passion for working on a team that drives U.S. manufacturing competitiveness and economic security every day.
- You are organized, proactive and like to express yourself creatively.
- Operating in a Microsoft Office environment is second nature to you.
NCDMM, as a government contractor, is required to verify all employees through the E-Verify system to confirm eligibility to work in the United States.
If interested email your information and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org