As Additive Manufacturing Research Technologist, you will be part of a diverse team that is collaborating to grow and mature the additive manufacturing supply chain. The ideal candidate is a collaborative and creative team player with a passion for additive manufacturing and advanced manufacturing technologies. Candidates should have experience in developing and scaling manufacturing technology, strategic partnerships, collaboration, and driving stakeholder engagement. Furthermore, candidates should be passionate, life-learners with a desire grow their understanding in areas where their experience may be limited. The role features opportunities for candidates to think strategically and execute tasks systematically to a plan.
The team culture is innovative, creative, and fast-paced. Members of the team need to be adaptive and thrive in an ambiguous environment. This role is part of a collaborative team, but a candidate with a “self-starter” personality who has high emotional intelligence will thrive in this role.
- Coordination and communication with team members and internal and external stakeholders
- Strong Awareness of existing state of the art in additive manufacturing technology
- Identification and prioritization of engagement opportunities
- Forming and maintaining professional relationships through professional societies, conferences, workshops, public events, teleconferences, or other collaboration methods
- Ability to manage diverse tasks with different customers (internal and external) and manage workload to a timeline (plan)
- Assess, discuss, and document gaps in technology maturation landscape to foster alignment to AM technology capability or strategic roadmaps while engaging partners and members to support the mission and/or validate.
- Technical writing and presentation of technical information to various technical and non-technical audiences.
- Leverage existing and forming new government stakeholder relationships to improve awareness around Institute objectives and goals and defining alignment between various stakeholder needs/priorities.
- Drive value creation of the research portfolio through promoting the tenants of effective technical communications – goals, objectives, motivations, approach, success metrics, data management, and reporting.
- Review reports and publications for accuracy and clarity to support the program execution team in deliverable management.
- Support the Technology Director and other America Makes coworkers on ongoing activities, initiatives, and objectives.
Required Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in related engineering or science discipline preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience with a bachelor’s degree or 2 years experience with a Master’s degree
- Experience in AM research, manufacturing operations, or product development desired
- Experience leading diverse and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Prior experience with technical writing and production of peer-reviewed publications ideal
- Prior experience in developing, conducting, or participating in structured brainstorming/workshops a plus
- Prior experience and demonstrated ability to deliver technical presentations, interpret data, and explain findings / outcomes / trends to a technical and non-technical audience required
- Demonstrated ability to apply business acumen to explain and prioritize research preferred
- Experience in collaboration coupled with value proposition acumen to drive research and technology maturation efforts highly desired
- Relevant and successful experience operating in a technology maturation space, ideally around Additive Manufacturing or other relevant manufacturing technologies (special processes or welding) highly desired
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Prior experience with project/program management a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally highly desired
- Understanding AM technology including all or some of the following: design, materials, processes, testing, inspection, value proposition, qualification, and certification
- Familiarity with manufacturing operations, management systems and technology development and readiness level progression
- Competency of technoeconomic factors influencing manufacturing technology industrialization using data, surveys, published materials, and guidance from subject matter experts